My home, my art, my style
My work explores issues of time, life and memory.
About Marina Emphietzi Biography
With the sound of crashing sea waves and the hot feeling of sand under bare feet, Marina Emphietzi’s story starts in Famagusta, Cyprus. Her family’s childhood home built along the scenic coastline, she spent most of her days by the beach. It’s here that she came to know the limitless freedom of the Ocean.
Surrounded by the vivid landscapes of Cyprus, art came naturally to Marina. Her heart’s desire was to study art, although she would pursue a successful career in hotel management and marketing before finally achieving her life-long dream. She has studied at the prestigious schools of Central St-Martins and the University of Arts London.
At the age of 14, Marina lost her home in sudden war. The ocean and its waters, full of life and possibility, are a part of her most joyful memories. They are from which she draws inspiration from in her work and why her pieces have the power to evoke strong feelings of nostalgia and freedom.
A world traveller, Marina has called many places home. The man-made beaches of Dubai, the crowded markets of Ethiopia, and now, the grey skies of London, U.K., each brings their own colour palette to Marina’s current work.
About Style and Inspiration:
Marina’s work explores issues of time, life and memory and has been described as ‘a reflection and celebration of life and the human spirit’. With influences as diverse as Greek mythology and J. M. W. Turner, she creates paintings with a vivid colour palette, many textures, robust energy and a playful style mostly inspired by the sea.
Created with robust energy, her paintings have playful textures and a distinct style. They bring to surface lost memories of being near water; the sound of rumbling waves, the feeling of a warm breeze across skin. A metaphor of the transient human experience, her artwork suggests we flow through the journey through life, ever-changing and free.
Her work is characterized by strong tonal variations and constantly challenges her own talent by trying to experiment with subject matters and techniques for new creative effects.
Marina’s compositions show the natural forms of a real world in a semi abstract way.
‘We were all impressed by the artist’s inexhaustible energy and passion focused on the sea life reflecting through her outstanding works so many cherished experiences at a remarkable technique highlighting her infinite imagination and talent’
‘You have a great sense of composition. I like the expressivity of your lines, ‘the Turning Point’ storm feels very strong and threatening, and yet, the viewer is offered a sense of solitude and a great reflexion on the power of the elements.
‘We felt in love with your artwork, bought one last year and we are now looking forward to seeing your new paintings’
The artist I most admire is J.M.W. Turner (1775-1851).
A little bit more about me
I have travelled extensively around the world encountering its people and their languages; I have also lived in one of Africa’s ancient cultural centres-Ethiopia and the Gulf, a coming together of the new and old worlds. I believe that this precious cultural diversity influenced my work.
· Strategic planning Consultant for the Dubai International Arts centre- 2011
· Curator of the Arts’ Festival of Addis Ababa-Ethiopia 2010 – to date
· Co-founder of the ‘Cyprus Open Studios’ 2015-2020
· Gallery consultant at ‘the Cynthia Corbett Gallery’, London, UK 2018-2019
NB: Marina’s artworks can be found in many private residences and in several public collections including the Nicosia Municipal Gallery. She is currently a member of the Cyprus Chamber of Cypriot artists.
My Journey To Become An Abstract Neo-Expressionist Artist
My style and compositions show the natural forms of a real world in a semi abstract, expressionistic and /or conceptualistic way.
Career History & Exhibitions
Past, Present, Future
About Other activities/involvements:
– Founding Arts Advisory member of the Dubai Theatre and Arts centre (DUCTAC)
– Strategic planning Consultant for the Dubai International Arts centre- 2011
– Curator of the Arts’ Festival of Addis Ababa-Ethiopia 2010 -date
– Co-founder of the ‘Cyprus Open Studios’
– Gallery consultant at ‘the Cynthia Corbett Gallery’, London, UK
Marina’s artworks can be found in many private residences and in several public collections including the Nicosia Municipal Gallery. She is currently a member of the Cyprus Chamber of Cypriot artists.
- 2020 Opus39, Nicosia, Cyprus
- 2017 Hellenic Centre, London Uk
- 2013 Thisseas Gallery-Limassol-Cyprus
- 2011 Gallery Opus 39 Nicosia Cyprus
- 2010 Gallery Leila –Addis Ababa Ethiopia
- 2009 Gallery Mondo Arte-Dubai-UAE
- 2008 Gallery Mondo Arte-Dubai -UAE
- 2007 OPUS 39 Gallery Nicosia –Cyprus 10-21 April 2007
- 2007 Gallery Mondo Arte-Dubai-UAE
- 2005 Hunar Gallery-Dubai UAE
Selected Group and International Exhibitions
- 2020-Three Angels-Larnaca-Cyprus
- 2020-Artnumber23-Athens, Greece,
- 2020 Cylinder Gallery, London, UK (Virtual Exhibition)
- 2019 Artbox. Project, Art Miami, USA*
- 2019 Light, Space & Time Gallery, UK**
- 2019 Opus39, Nicosia, Cyprus
- 2019 Camden Image Gallery, London, Uk
- 2019 Flux Exhibition, London, UK
- 2018 Parallax exhibition, London, Uk
- 2018 Hellenic Centre, London, Uk
- 2018 Salon des Refuses, London, Uk
- 2017-Opus 39 Nicosia, Cyprus
- 2016 Opus 39 Nicosia Cyprus
- 2016 Technopolis Paphos Cyprus
- 2015-Salon des refuses-London.Uk
- 2014- ‘The Gallery’ United society of Artists – London, UK
- 2014- Kyklos Gallery –Paphos, Cyprus
- 2012- Anti-Dora Pegasus Arts Foundation-Limassol Cyprus
- 2012 Window-Art-Paphos-Cyprus
- 2011 Art Festival Addis Ababa-Ethiopia
- 2011 Modern Contemporary juried Art contest-New York
- 2010 Erotic Art Exhibition-Nicosia-Cyprus
- 2010 Art festival Addis Ababa-Ethiopia
- 2010-E.K.A.T.E. 50 years Anniversary of the Cyprus Republic-Nicosia