My home, my art, my style
My work explores issues of time, life and memory.
As a neo-expressionist mixed media artist, I seek to create uniquely engaging artworks in a semi-abstract style mostly inspired by the sea and the marine environment.
I grew up in a house by the sea in Famagusta, Cyprus, a home I lost in the trauma of war. Although I didn’t set out to produce art about anything specific, as my portfolio developed over the years, I realised that the greatest pleasure and energy I was getting from painting was when I focused on water, boats, beaches and marinas. My artworks also tell a story. They suggest a metaphor of the human experience as we journey through life.
They convey the feeling of being there on that beach where I grew up, where I can still feel my toes walking on the warm sand and where sometimes the wind brushes my face as I walk against it.
I create paintings with many textures, robust energy and a playful style. Creating in strong tonal variations, I constantly challenge my own talent by trying to experiment with subject matters and techniques for new creative effects.
‘We were all impressed by the artist’s inexhaustible energy and passion focused on the sea life reflecting through her outstanding works so many cherished experiences at a remarkable technique highlighting her infinite imagination and talent’
‘You have a great sense of composition. I like the expressivity of your lines, ‘the Turning Point’ storm feels very strong and threatening, and yet, the viewer is offered a sense of solitude and a great reflexion on the power of the elements.
‘We felt in love with your artwork, bought one last year and we are now looking forward to seeing your new paintings’
The artist I most admire is J.M.W. Turner (1775-1851).
A little bit more about me
I have travelled extensively around the world encountering its people and their languages; I have also lived in one of Africa’s ancient cultural centres-Ethiopia and the Gulf, a coming together of the new and old worlds. I believe that this precious cultural diversity influenced my work.
· Strategic planning Consultant for the Dubai International Arts centre- 2011
· Curator of the Arts’ Festival of Addis Ababa-Ethiopia 2010 – to date
· Co-founder of the ‘Cyprus Open Studios’ 2015-2020
· Gallery consultant at ‘the Cynthia Corbett Gallery’, London, UK 2018-2019
NB: Marina’s artworks can be found in many private residences and in several public collections including the Nicosia Municipal Gallery. She is currently a member of the Cyprus Chamber of Cypriot artists.
It’s about the process
My style and compositions show the natural forms of a real world in a semi abstract, expressionistic and /or conceptualistic way.
Career History & Exhibitions
Past, Present, Future
An accomplished Greek Cypriot artist residing between London and Cyprus, Marina was born in Famagusta, Cyprus. A popular international contemporary artist, her passion for art started early. She trained at the Dubai International Arts Centre under Artist Master Shakeel and continued her education at Central ST. Martin’s college of Art in London. She taught Art and served as an Arts Advisory Committee member at the Dubai Community Theatre and Arts Centre. Marina is a professionally accredited strategic planning Consultant in Arts Management-UMASS.
Member of the Cyprus Chamber of Fine Arts, her work and inspirations can be viewed online
Style and inspiration:
Marina’s work explores issues of time, life and memory and has been described as ‘a reflection and celebration of life and the human spirit’. With influences as diverse as Greek mythology and J. M. W. Turner, she creates paintings with a vivid colour palette, many textures, robust energy and a playful style mostly inspired by the sea. Her work is characterised by strong tonal variations and constantly challenges her own talent by trying to experiment with subject matters and techniques for new creative effects.
Marina’s compositions show the natural forms of a real world in a semi abstract way.
– Founding Arts Advisory member of the Dubai Theatre and Arts centre (DUCTAC)
– Strategic planning Consultant for the Dubai International Arts centre- 2011
– Curator of the Arts’ Festival of Addis Ababa-Ethiopia 2010 -date
– Co-founder of the ‘Cyprus Open Studios’
– Gallery consultant at ‘the Cynthia Corbett Gallery’, London, UK
Marina’s artworks can be found in many private residences and in several public collections including the Nicosia Municipal Gallery. She is currently a member of the Cyprus Chamber of Cypriot artists.
- 2020 Opus39, Nicosia, Cyprus
- 2017 Hellenic Centre, London Uk
- 2013 Thisseas Gallery-Limassol-Cyprus
- 2011 Gallery Opus 39 Nicosia Cyprus
- 2010 Gallery Leila –Addis Ababa Ethiopia
- 2009 Gallery Mondo Arte-Dubai-UAE
- 2008 Gallery Mondo Arte-Dubai -UAE
- 2007 OPUS 39 Gallery Nicosia –Cyprus 10-21 April 2007
- 2007 Gallery Mondo Arte-Dubai-UAE
- 2005 Hunar Gallery-Dubai UAE
Selected Group and International Exhibitions
- 2020-Three Angels-Larnaca-Cyprus
- 2020-Artnumber23-Athens, Greece,
- 2020 Cylinder Gallery, London, UK (Virtual Exhibition)
- 2019 Artbox. Project, Art Miami, USA*
- 2019 Light, Space & Time Gallery, UK**
- 2019 Opus39, Nicosia, Cyprus
- 2019 Camden Image Gallery, London, Uk
- 2019 Flux Exhibition, London, UK
- 2018 Parallax exhibition, London, Uk
- 2018 Hellenic Centre, London, Uk
- 2018 Salon des Refuses, London, Uk
- 2017-Opus 39 Nicosia, Cyprus
- 2016 Opus 39 Nicosia Cyprus
- 2016 Technopolis Paphos Cyprus
- 2015-Salon des refuses-London.Uk
- 2014- ‘The Gallery’ United society of Artists – London, UK
- 2014- Kyklos Gallery –Paphos, Cyprus
- 2012- Anti-Dora Pegasus Arts Foundation-Limassol Cyprus
- 2012 Window-Art-Paphos-Cyprus
- 2011 Art Festival Addis Ababa-Ethiopia
- 2011 Modern Contemporary juried Art contest-New York
- 2010 Erotic Art Exhibition-Nicosia-Cyprus
- 2010 Art festival Addis Ababa-Ethiopia
- 2010-E.K.A.T.E. 50 years Anniversary of the Cyprus Republic-Nicosia